Re: add server include files to default installation?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add server include files to default installation?
Date: 2004-05-20 14:41:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Fabien COELHO wrote:
>> Well, the point of having an infrastructure if extensions cannot rely it
>> being there when needed is not clear to me.

> Agreed. If we are pushing things out, it seems it is our duty to make
> it easy for outside things to integrate and build properly.

It does not thereby follow that we should try to merge devel and base
packages (to express it in RPM terms). Compiling extension packages is
not and probably never will be something that the average user does,
and there's no reason to burden him with the disk footprint to support
something he's not gonna do.

We do need to work out what our story is for compiling extensions
without the original source/build trees. But the needed files should
be an install option, not the default.