Re: Type Categories for User-Defined Types

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Type Categories for User-Defined Types
Date: 2008-07-29 22:06:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jul 29, 2008, at 14:33, Tom Lane wrote:

> That's exactly what I don't really want to do; if you are adding
> aliases
> *only* to get rid of ambiguity-errors, and not to alter functionality,
> then I think you're doing the wrong thing. Adding more aliases can
> easily make the situation worse.

Actually, most seem to resolve to text okay. I'm adding aliases to
change behavior (e.g., case-insensitive matching in replace()). It's
the bazillion cast functions I'm having to add that are annoying (see
my previous post with the int8 example).

>> Anyway, would this issue then go away once the type stuff was added
>> and citext was specified as TYPE = 'S'?
>
> Yeah, that's the point of the proposal. I think the issue has come up
> once or twice before, too, else I'd not be so interested in a general
> solution. (digs in archives ... there was some discussion of this
> in connection with unsigned integer types, and I seem to recall older
> threads but can't find any right now.)

No worries, it seems like a really good idea to me, regardless.

Thanks!

David