Where to document system views?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Where to document system views?
Date: 2001-10-15 02:08:47
Lists: pgsql-docs
I have noticed that there is a nearly total lack of documentation of the
various predefined system views, which as of 7.2 include:

	pg_indexes
	pg_rules
	pg_stat_activity
	pg_stat_all_indexes
	pg_stat_all_tables
	pg_stat_database
	pg_stat_sys_indexes
	pg_stat_sys_tables
	pg_stat_user_indexes
	pg_stat_user_tables
	pg_statio_all_indexes
	pg_statio_all_sequences
	pg_statio_all_tables
	pg_statio_sys_indexes
	pg_statio_sys_sequences
	pg_statio_sys_tables
	pg_statio_user_indexes
	pg_statio_user_sequences
	pg_statio_user_tables
	pg_stats
	pg_tables
	pg_user
	pg_views

The lack of docs for the pg_stat* stuff can be blamed on Jan and me,
but the other ones are of longer standing.  My current thought is to
add a section somewhere that describes these views, but where?  I don't
think it's quite right to document them under the System Catalogs
chapter of the Developer's Guide, since they're all intended for use
by ordinary users and dbadmins; the system itself doesn't use them.
Thoughts?

pgsql-docs by date