Re: VACUUM causes violent postmaster death

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: Dan Moschuk <dan(at)freebsd(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM causes violent postmaster death
Date: 2000-11-04 01:21:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I don't think Dan's problem is related to the recently found VACUUM
bugs.  Killing a backend with SIGVTALRM suggests that something thinks
the backend's been running too long.  ulimit is a likely suspect.
Another possibility is some sort of profiling mechanism gone haywire.
There's nothing in our source code that would invoke that signal, so
it's got to be some outside agency, I think.