Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Certification

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lewis Cunningham <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 21:38:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Lewis Cunningham <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com> writes:
> If a person is interested in all the groups, is it hard to subscribe?
> No.
> If all groups are in one, is it hard to filter out? Yes.

Some people like to filter PG mail into different folders for different
lists, so that they can read with more focus. That would get
significantly harder if we merged the lists into just a couple. On the
other hand, if you see the lists as one big discussion, you can have
them all arrive in one folder (and set your subscription to filter dups
from cross-posted messages). I happen to fall in the latter camp but
I don't want to make life hard for the former camp, especially not
when it wouldn't really buy anything for me.

I agree with the original complaint about not creating new lists without
significant evidence that one is needed, but that doesn't translate into
wanting to smash everything down to a couple of lists.