Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 64-bit vs 32-bit performance ... backwards?
Date: 2006-06-13 02:51:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com ("Alex Turner") wrote:
> Anyone who has tried x86-64 linux knows what a royal pain in the ass
> it is.   They didn't do anything sensible, like just make the whole
> OS 64 bit, no, they had to split it up, and put 64-bit libs in a new
> directory /lib64.  This means that a great many applications don't
> know to check in there for libs, and don't compile pleasantly, php
> is one among them.  I forget what others, it's been awhile now.  Of
> course if you actualy want to use more than 4gig RAM in a pleasant
> way, it's pretty much essential. Alex.

That's absolute nonsense.

I have been running the Debian AMD64 port since I can't recall when.
I have experienced NO such issues.

Packages simply install, in most cases.

When I do need to compile things, they *do* compile pleasantly.

I seem to recall hearing there being "significant issues" as to how
Red Hat's distributions of Linux coped with AMD64. That's not a
problem with Linux, of course...
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/spreadsheets.html