Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Matthew Dennis" <mdennis(at)merfer(dot)net>, PGSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: indexes on functions and create or replace function
Date: 2008-08-28 14:57:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> Since determining whether the function actually did change behavior is
> Turing-complete, we can't realistically try to determine that in software.
> So we leave it up to the user to reindex if he makes a behavioral change in
> an indexed function.

Another option might be to mark the index invalid. Then allow the user to
either reindex the index to enable it or use a magic DBA-only command to
enable it asserting that a rebuild isn't necessary.

Then of course someone would complain about the downtime caused by queries not
using the index during the unavoidable window when the index is invalid. I'm
not sure how to solve that.

--
  Gregory Stark