Re: BUG #5240: Stable Functions that return a table type with a dropped column fail

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: dgardner(at)creatureshop(dot)com ("David Gardner"), pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5240: Stable Functions that return a table type with a dropped column fail
Date: 2009-12-11 22:17:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

David> The following bug has been logged online:

David> Bug reference: 5240
David> Logged by: David Gardner
David> Email address: dgardner(at)creatureshop(dot)com
David> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1
David> Operating system: Debian Linux, amd64 2.6.30
David> Description: Stable Functions that return a table type with a dropped
David> column fail
David> Details:

David> SELECT foo(); works while SELECT * FROM foo(); fails.
David> However redefining the function as volatile fixes the
David> issue. Possibly related to BUG #4907.

I don't think it's particularly closely related to #4907.

I've confirmed this bug still exists in both 8.4.2 and HEAD; it's
clearly a problem that affects only inlined SQL functions (making the
function volatile defeats inlining, and thus avoids the bug).

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)