Re: Calculating memory allocaiton per process

From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Calculating memory allocaiton per process
Date: 2011-04-14 19:00:07
Lists: pgsql-general

David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> writes:

> Howdy,
>
> Is there a doc somewhere that has a formula for how much memory PG
> backend process will use?
>
> I'm looking to get something like total_mem = max_connections * (
> work_mem + temp_buffers ) // I know it's more complicated than that,
> which is why I'm asking =)

Depends on your query complexity, load distribution across concurrent
sessions and session lifetime.

work_mem will, in cases of queries having multiple sort nodes, have to
be counted multiple times on behalf of a single backend.

Some observation of the running system can be your best bet.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting