Re: -fpic vs. -fPIC

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: -fpic vs. -fPIC
Date: 2003-11-30 08:06:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu> writes:

> So, no, -fPIC does not appear to be required for libpq.

My understanding was that at least on some platforms once you need -fPIC for
some libraries you need to make sure they were all compiled with it. That
means it's a pain if any libraries are provided compiled with -fpic because
whenever find one that reaches that threshold they all have to be recompiled.

At least Debian decided long ago to just make everything -fPIC to avoid having
problems later. I don't know what the convention is on other OS's though.