Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: alex(at)neteconomist(dot)com
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>,Andrei Bintintan <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???
Date: 2005-01-25 18:28:46
Lists: pgsql-performancepgsql-sql
Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> I am also very interesting in this very question.. Is there any way to
> declare a persistant cursor that remains open between pg sessions?
> This would be better than a temp table because you would not have to
> do the initial select and insert into a fresh table and incur those IO
> costs, which are often very heavy, and the reason why one would want
> to use a cursor.

TANSTAAFL. How would such a persistent cursor be implemented if not by
building a temporary table somewhere behind the scenes?

There could be some advantage if the data were stored in a temporary table
marked as not having to be WAL logged. Instead it could be automatically
cleared on every database start.

--
greg