Re: Autoconf test for incompatible version of flex

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autoconf test for incompatible version of flex
Date: 2003-07-06 04:35:48
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> writes:
> > I inquired about this problem elsewhere, it's not a bug, it's an API change.
> > Until postgres "ports" to the new API it won't work with newer versions of
> > Flex.
>
> If their intent was to break things, why wasn't this called flex 3.0?
> Or at least 2.6? Calling it a minor version bump has to violate a
> truth-in-advertising law or two.

Or something else like "glex", since it doesn't really look much like flex any
more... I don't know whether it will be possible to port to the new API and
still have postgresql compile with the old API.

Incidentally, for anyone else compiling on debian there's a flex-old package.
I can't install it because of some other dependencies, so i just reverted to
the old flex.

--
greg