Re: Concurrent psql API

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Csaba Nagy" <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: "Shane Ambler" <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concurrent psql API
Date: 2008-04-10 09:02:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Csaba Nagy" <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com> writes:

> For interactive use in the above mentioned scenario you can use the
> 'screen' command and start as many psqls as needed

Sure, or you could just start multiple xterms or emacs shell buffers
(my preferred setup).

But I'm sure there are people who would prefer C-z too.

> So from my POV scripting should be the main case for such a feature...
> and there it would be welcome if it would be made easy to synchronize
> the different sessions.

I think it's the main case, that's why I didn't implement C-z at all. But I
think we should keep it as a design consideration and not preclude it in the
future.

Hm. I had a thought though. Perhaps C-z should just immediately start a new
connection. That would perhaps maintain the shell metaphor the way Tom was
thinking where you're always at a usable prompt. That might suck if you're at
a password-authenticated connection.

--
Gregory Stark