Re: How to run PostgreSQL?

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to run PostgreSQL?
Date: 2009-05-08 22:27:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") writes:
>> >  * Why should I have to configure a custom init.d script so my
>> > PostgreSQL will start?
>> to gain control over the system issue.  From my perspective pg has always
>> been at the enterprise layer,
> This surprises me a bit. In my experience Enterprises don't compile from
> source and those that do, push it into a package so they can manage it.
> Wait... there is one place in the "enterprise" where I could see this
> being the case. Places that are running legacy systems like AIX or HPUX
> that don't necessarily even have a proper package management system.

There are two other scenarios that I have seen that have led us to
generally compile from sources, both with common features:

  a) Slony-I expects to be built alongside the database.

     In principle, the relevant compiled components *could* be added
     in via PGXS, but nobody has had the time to set that up; it
     hasn't seemed that valuable to do.

  b) We've got some internal data types that expect to be built in

     Again, we could presumably use PGXS to evade this...  Mumble...

It would be *conceivable* to build RPMs or something, but that seems
more trouble than it's worth for, erm, AIX :-).
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || '';
"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with
"It never does quite what I want."
"I wish Christopher Robin were here.".