Re: Proposal: Add JSON support

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Add JSON support
Date: 2010-03-31 15:14:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com (Robert Haas) writes:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I'd think that you could get quite a long ways on this, at least doing
>>> something like dbslayer without *necessarily* needing to do terribly
>>> much work inside the DB engine.
>>
>> There's actually an HTTP framework tool for Postgres which already does
>> something of the sort.  It was introduced at pgCon 2 years ago ... will
>> look for.
>
> While it might be interesting to have/find/write a tool that puts an
> HTTP/JSON layer around the DB connection, it's pretty much entirely
> unrelated to the proposed project of creating a json type with
> PostgreSQL analagous to the xml type we already have, which is what
> the OP is proposing to do.
>
> Personally, I suspect that a JSON type is both a more interesting
> project to work on and a more useful result for this community.

No disagreement here; I'd expect that a JSON type would significantly
ease building such a framework. Indeed, that could be a demonstration
of success...

"We then implemented an HTTP/JSON proxy in 27 lines of Python code..."
:-)
--
"Unless you used NetInfo. _Then_ changing network settings could
often require torching of the existing system, salting of the ground