New Logo, etc.

From: Hal Snyder <hal(at)enteract(dot)com>
To: docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New Logo, etc.
Date: 1999-01-10 02:31:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

Team-

Quite a bit of effort went into the evaluation of Vittoria's latest
offering - thanks all! I've condensed correspondence so far, and added
my own impression at the bottom (I agree with Bruce and Marc). I'll
follow up with another message soon - I'd like to go further with
things here before replying to her.

Marc:
Colors in proposed page are too drab.
Likes "modern feel" of www.php.net.
Want logo to have 3-D, "jumps out at you" feel.
Wants snazzy onMouseOver effects like PARC and PHP sites.

Bruce:
Prefers the section margin on the left, not right.
Too dark, too small.
Prefers more color and depth in our current logo.
In logo, "postgreSQL" should begin with a capital "P".
Making "SQL" stand out in logo is good.
Proposed page has more modern look.
Favorite other sites:
http://www.gimp.org
http://www.freebsd.org
http://www.csmonitor.com
http://www.pncbank.com

Thomas:
We should look at other sites, find things we like.
Favorite other sites:
http://www.parc.xerox.com
http://www.netbsd.org
http://www.mulberrytech.com
http://www.w3.org
http://www.javasoft.com
http://www.freebsd.org is nice.
http://www.gimp.org

Vince:
Likes these sites:
http://www.freebsd.org/~meganm
http://www.asis.com/~meganm

Hal:
Too small, too dark, colors drab, navbar should be on left.
Logo flat, reminds me of junior high textbook cover.
History should not be first main window visitors see.
Topics on nav bar are too many, need reorg.

---
Hal Snyder / hal(at)enteract(dot)com / webmaster(at)postgresql(dot)org