Re: [pgsql-www] New email list for emergency communications

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Stefan Kaltenbrunner" <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] New email list for emergency communications
Date: 2008-03-24 22:52:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

"Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure I follow. I tried last week to give some hours for patch
>> review. What actually happened was that I had to wade through a ton of
>> stuff, skipping patches that were already applied, threads that were
>> purely discussion but not patches, threads about earlier versions of
>> some patches.
>
> Yep, that describes the painful process well.
>
> I have tried to stay on top of patches already applied but I am doing a
> clock sweep over the queue and you probably caught a spot I was nearing.

I've also tried to find stuff I could review and failed repeatedly. I have a
week now where I could spend a lot of time on this so I'll try again.

Am i looking at the right list though? The one I'm looking at still starts
with a patch to which Tom commented "This is superseded by a later submission"
which I think has been there since pretty much the start of the commitfest.

> You can download an mbox of the entire queue if that helps.
>>
>> Also I don't know what patches we have for the next commitfest. I would
>> gladly give some time to put up a Wiki page to list the patches for the
>> next commitfest. Would that be helpful?

I tried this once already. I dumped the first page of Bruce's queue into a
wiki page and laid it out in a column. But I wanted to add links back to the
messages in the archive and ran into a problem with that. It also would have
been a pain because Bruce's list is divided up into pages.

If we modify the archives to have a URL to go straight to a message-id and
Bruce generated a list all on one page including comments and message-ids then
I could process them all into a wiki page in a few hours.

--
Gregory Stark