Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues
Date: 2009-03-23 03:03:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

 >> Partly that's based on the relative inflexibility of the
 >> search_path setting; it's hard to modify the search_path without
 >> completely replacing it, so knowledge of the "default" search path
 >> ends up being propagated to a lot of places.

 Dimitri> pg_catalog is implicit in the search_path, what about having
 Dimitri> user schemas with the implicit capability too?

 Dimitri> Then you have the problem of ordering more than one implicit
 Dimitri> schemas,

This is a hint that it's really a bad idea.

Instead, what I'd suggest is breaking up search_path into multiple
variables - maybe pre_search_path, search_path, and
post_search_path.

--
Andrew.