Re: Architecting a database

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: tony(at)exquisiteimages(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Architecting a database
Date: 2010-06-28 08:01:19
Lists: pgsql-performance
tony(at)exquisiteimages(dot)com writes:
> I am wondering how I should architect this in PostgreSQL. Should I follow
> a similar strategy and have a separate database for each client and one
> database that contains the global data?

As others said already, there's more problems to foresee doing so that
there are advantages. If you must separate data for security concerns,
your situation would be much more comfortable using schema.

If it's all about performances, see about partitioning the data, and
maybe not even on the client id but monthly, e.g., depending on the
queries you run in your application.

Regards,
--
dim