Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?

From: Jerry Sievers <jerry(dot)sievers(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?
Date: 2011-07-26 02:59:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 07/25/2011 10:31 PM, Jerry Sievers wrote:
>> Hackers;
>>
>> I just noticed that somewhere between 8.2 and 8.4, an exception is
>> raised trying to alter table ONLY some_partition_parent ADD CHECK
>> (foo).
>>

> 8.4 had this change:
>
> *
>
> Force child tables to inherit CHECK constraints from parents
> (Alex Hunsaker, Nikhil Sontakke, Tom)
>
> Formerly it was possible to drop such a constraint from a
> child table, allowing rows that violate the constraint to be
> visible when scanning the parent table. This was deemed
> inconsistent, as well as contrary to SQL standard.
>

> You're not the only one who occasionally bangs his head against it.
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

Thanks Andrew!... Yeah, I figured it was a documented change but too
lazy tonight to browse release notes :-)

The previous behavior was to me convenient, but I agree, probably lead
to some confusion too.

That our version of partitioning can be overloaded like this though I
think adds power. A bit of which we lost adding the restrictgion.

--
Jerry Sievers
e: jerry(dot)sievers(at)comcast(dot)net