Re: [DOCS] Updated background colors for web page

From: Hal Snyder <hal(at)enteract(dot)com>
To: docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL-documentation)
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Updated background colors for web page
Date: 1999-01-05 00:35:21
Lists: pgsql-docs

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:

> I have modified FAQ, FAQ_DEV, TODO, and HISTORY so they have the proper
> background colors to match the rest of the site.
>
> I guess everyone likes my manila envelope colored background.

All the revised web pages use a style sheet file, www/html/style1.css.
If you LINK this file, background color is specified for BODY. See any
of the newer pages. That way, we can change the color scheme of the
whole site with a single edit. The link to the style sheet needs to be
relative as it's possible for mirror sites to put us below their
DocumentRoot.

Other changes on the site:

Phasing out SSI (.shtml) in favor of plain .html, as it seems to be
falling into disfavor - some sites can't mirror us because of their
servers don't support .shtml.

The body of each revised page is in a DIV block (CLASS="main") to give
uniform spec to fonts. Again this is to make it easy to change the
whole look of the site once the upgrades are done. The spec doesn't do
much now.

Tags are balanced (<LI> gets matching </LI>, e.g.), <HTML> and </HTML>
added where missing - looking forward to stricter XML-style
parsers. For the same reason, tags are being converted to all upper
case.

The head of each revised file has a CVS $Id$ embedded in an HTML
comment, so web developers can check what page they're looking at by
doing View Source.
---
Hal