Re: Call from Info World

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-21 06:45:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Oh, great, there goes that good example. Are we the only big
> open-source project that isn't controlled by corporations?

Certainly not.

>> Other projects that I'mm pretty sure aren't corporate-run: Samba,
>> Abiword, Gnucash, Webmin, OpenGroupware, Hordemail.
>
> And who has heard of those? NO ONE!

You don't judge how big or how significant an OSS project is by how
many people have heard of it. Judged by that criterion, we certainly
don't do very well, for example.

> Samba, maybe, but not really outside open-source circles.

Compared to PostgreSQL, I'm sure Samba is FAR better known outside of
OSS enthusiasts. The same applies to KDE, which you also suggested
"isn't known outside open source".

> This is strange. I am now seeing how unique we are.

On the contrary, GCC, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Debian, Slackware,
XFree86, Perl, Python, Ruby, The Gimp, Firebird and Enlightenment are
the first counter-examples I can think of, but I'm sure there are
plenty more.

-Neil