Re: psql: customizable readline history filename

From: Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: customizable readline history filename
Date: 2005-06-10 16:20:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian schrob:

> I noticed your documentation example had a space before :DBNAME --- I
> removed the space.

This space is necessary for proper expansion of the parameter. The
\set-Command concatenates all its arguments after expansion:

scratch=# \set HISTFILE .psql_history-:DBNAME
scratch=# \echo :HISTFILE
.psql_history-:DBNAME
scratch=# \set HISTFILE .psql_history- :DBNAME
scratch=# \echo :HISTFILE
.psql_history-scratch
scratch=#

> You had the idea of not saving the history on exit if HISTFILE is not
> set. I don't think we have community agreement on that change, and I
> bet we wouldn't get it. (I have removed your documentation mention of
> this.) I think setting HISTSIZE to zero has that effect already if
> people want it.

I went for bash's behaviour back then, since we copied bash's
semantics with the other history options too.

Thanks!
Andreas