Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL
Date: 2006-02-16 16:11:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when jzubac(at)internetsecure(dot)com ("John Zubac") would write:
> Isn't this article false in stating that Ingres is tring to build a
> high end open source database package. Isn't postgres based on
> Ingres if I'm correct in my history lesson. And postgres IS a high
> end open source database package.

No, that's not from an accurate history lesson.

Ingres *may* have had some tiny bit of code from University Ingres, in
the beginning, but developed considerably independently.

Postgres *may* have also had some tiny bit of code from University
Ingres, in the beginning, but, again, developed considerably
independently.

It is NOT reasonable to consider Postgres or PostgreSQL to be based on
Ingres. The divergence took place *so* long ago...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html