Re: uh-oh

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uh-oh
Date: 2006-06-12 05:29:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

In the last exciting episode, tallison(at)tacocat(dot)net (Tom Allison) wrote:
> I think I screwed up.
>
> I was running something in the background to update a table based on
> the jobs output (once every 1-10 seconds) and while that was running I
> created an index on the same table.
>
> Now that index is not used according to explain plans.
> It does show up when I type '\di'
> But I can't DROP INDEX.
>
> I think I'm in some trouble but I don't know how much.

That doesn't sound like something I'd expect to cause a problem.

1. Is it possible that the index isn't useful for the plans you have
been considering?

2. Have you run ANALYZE on the table recently? If not, it may have
poor statistics that are leading it to not consider using the index.
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html