Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearchfixup

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Zoltan Boszormenyi" <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Hans-Juergen Schoenig" <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearchfixup
Date: 2008-04-20 12:32:59
Lists: pgsql-patches

> BTW, I trolled the contrib files for other v0 functions taking or
> returning float4 or float8.  I found seg_size (fixed it) and a whole
> bunch of functions in earthdistance.  Those use float8 not float4,
> so they are not broken by this patch, but that module will have to
> be v1-ified before we can consider applying the other part of the
> patch.

So are you killing V0 for non-integral types? Because if not we should keep
some sacrificial module to the regression tests to use to test for this
problem.

I don't see any way not to kill v0 for non-integral types if we want to make
float4 and float8 pass-by-value. We could leave those pass-by-reference and
just make bigint pass-by-value.

--
  Gregory Stark