XML only working in UTF-8 - Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: XML only working in UTF-8 - Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-03-30 18:43:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> This one is also really bad, but probably only Doc-patchable.
> However, can SQL/XML really be said to be core functionality if it
> only works in UTF-8?
> * BUG #4622: xpath only work in utf-8 server encoding

Well, much of the definition of XML assumes the use of Unicode, so I
don't feel entirely badly about there being such a restriction.

It seems likely to me that opening its use to other encodings has a
considerable risk of breaking due to a loss of, erm, "closure," in the
mathematical sense. Or, alternatively, opening a Pandora's Box of
needing to do translations to prevent mappings from breaking.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html