Re: cvs chapters in our docs

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cvs chapters in our docs
Date: 2009-11-26 16:36:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net (Peter Eisentraut) writes:
> On ons, 2009-11-25 at 16:27 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Attached is a patch which adds a chapter to git in our documentation,
>> around where we have several chapters about cvs today. It also removes
>> a few very out of date comments about cvs
>
> I think this whole chapter could be removed and the relevant information
> added to the web site or the wiki.
>
> (Btw., it's spelled Git, not GIT.)

I think I'd rather see the documentation repaired in the CVS repository
where it happens to reside today.

Wikis have a habit of getting out of date in ways that make them even
more difficult to rectify, because the data is frequently structured in
a way that doesn't make it particularly easy to pull it out and
transform it into other forms.

Now, if someone knows a way of creating a Git repository[1] that tracks,
change-for-change, everything going on in a MediaWiki repository in a
textual form that would allow one to monitor everything going on, and
possibly even inject changes, that *would* be something.

(To *my* mind, the ultimate wiki platform that I have seen lately is
ikiwiki <http://ikiwiki.info/>, which manages the wiki in an SCM,
"compiling" the pages into HTML whenever things are changed. Should
cope with heavy query load rather well! But I digress...)

Footnotes:
[1] Or Darcs, Mercurial, SVN, or whatever...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','linuxfinances.info').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/