Re: Oracle Analytic Functions for PostreSQL

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle Analytic Functions for PostreSQL
Date: 2006-04-23 03:51:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, jcxxr(at)yahoo(dot)com (Jean-Christophe Roux) transmitted:
> Hi, I have found Oracle analytic functions very useful. They are so
> convenient to calculate running totals, moving averages, ranks,
> order data in buckets... and so on. I have found in the archives a
> few threads that deal with the replication of some of those
> functions on PostgreSQL but I don't think I have the skills to write
> by myself such a package (I mean algorithms can get pretty
> complicated). It seems that PostgreSQL does not offer the equivalent
> (maybe because they do not belong to standard SQL?).  If I am wrong
> thanks for letting me know where in the docs I can find details.
> Otherwise, are you aware of an open-source project (maybe a
> corporation) offering a set of equivalent functions ? Many thanks

There is material in the SQL2003 standard on analytic functions; I'm
not sure if Oracle's such functions are standards-conformant or not.

It is likely that some could be implemented in a near-standard
fashion; it simply hasn't yet happened.
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html