Re: Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"
Date: 2007-10-25 18:14:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-docs
"Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:

> On Thursday 25 October 2007 11:32, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> So, for the FAQ, which currently uses the second-entry-per-paragraph
>> logic, should it be changed to the logic suggested above where every
>> mention but the first is "Postgres"?  (This will of course affect the
>> documentation changes when we are ready to discuss those.)
>
> IMHO (and others as well, since this has been raised by others as well) this
> only makes are docs / faqs / etc... more confusing, and I think the use of
> both names scattered through is more confusing.  We should strive to be
> consistent with our useage, whichever name we want to use.

IMHO the FAQ is an informal document like email or wiki pages. It should use
whatever the maintainer feels most comfortable with (and use it consistently).
There should be an FAQ entry explaining the relationship. Effectively a
second-entry-per-document rule, not second-entry-per-paragraph.

The manual and reference are part of the source base and should consistently
use the same name as the rest of the source.

--
  Gregory Stark