Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "daveg" <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Davy Durham" <pubaddr5(at)davyandbeth(dot)com>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature: give pg_dump a WHERE clause expression
Date: 2008-06-02 12:07:25
Lists: pgsql-patches
"daveg" <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> writes:

> The argument that one could just use copy and tar and gzip applies to the
> whole existance of pg_dump itself. pg_dump is just a more convenient way to
> copy out tables and as such does not NEED to exist at all. However it is
> convenient to that is does exist and does have convenient features to
> selectively handle schemas and tables.

That's not really true, pg_dump does a *lot* more work than just group table
data together. Its real value comes in reconstructing DDL for all the objects
and understanding the dependencies between them. That's functionality that
isn't available elsewhere and can't be reproduced without just reimplementing
pg_dump.

--
  Gregory Stark