Re: Copyright and Paper walls

From: John Hasler <john(at)dhh(dot)gt(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copyright and Paper walls
Date: 2008-07-12 22:53:58
Lists: pgsql-sql
Steve writes:
> I don't want to pile more wood on the fire, but I think I can see both
> sides to this. I believe this is not so much copyright violation concern,
> but if the Pg team releases some cool feature relating to rollbacks
> down-the-road that is vaguely similar to Oracle's system, reducing the
> amount of discussion about Oracle's features on this list would reduce
> Oracle's ability to claim that the feature was a direct appropriation.

So what if it is direct appropriation?  Either it is patented, in which
case you infringe whether you looked at their docs or not, or it isn't, in
which case they have no grounds for action.  There is nothing wrong with
discussing Oracle's features or even deliberately duplicating them.
--
John Hasler
john(at)dhh(dot)gt(dot)org