Re: Enhancement to pg_dump

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Rob Kirkbride" <rob(dot)kirkbride(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enhancement to pg_dump
Date: 2008-11-25 20:58:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Rob Kirkbride" <rob(dot)kirkbride(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> Once I'm happy with it (I'm a bit rusty at C!), do I post the patch here?

I would say you should post *before* you have a patch you're happy with. As
soon as you have a specific plan of what you want to do it's best to post an
outline of it. That way you at least have a chance of avoiding wasting work in
the wrong direction.

Sometimes things don't really work out that way -- sometimes the plan sounds
good and it only becomes apparent there's a better way later -- but you're
best off getting the best chance you can.

Incidentally, I don't know exactly what the use case you're trying to cover
here is but you should consider looking at TRUNCATE instead of DELETE if
you're really deleting all the records in the table and can accept locking the
table.

--
  Gregory Stark