Re: 7.5 change documentation

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, "'Jan Wieck'" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "'Postgresql Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.5 change documentation
Date: 2004-01-23 20:20:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> In theory there should be a section at the head of release.sgml
> mentioning the major changes done-so-far, but for various reasons
> this hasn't gotten installed in the 7.5 branch yet. (Look at the
> CVS versions during 7.4 development to see how we did it last time.)

Well, keep in mind we didn't do it very effectively in 7.4 :-) The
vast majority of changes weren't recorded there, and the ones that
were had to be fleshed out quite a lot in the actual release notes.

The last time that someone (Peter and myself, IIRC) suggested that we
really incrementally maintain the release notes during the development
cycle, Bruce said that he personally finds it more comfortable to
summarize the CVS changelogs all at once shortly before we release the
first beta. AFAIR that's where the discussion ended.

-Neil