Re: TODO item -- Improve psql's handling of multi-line queries

From: Andreas Seltenreich <uwi7(at)rz(dot)uni-karlsruhe(dot)de>
To: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item -- Improve psql's handling of multi-line queries
Date: 2005-11-15 16:33:06
Lists: pgsql-patches
Sergey E. Koposov writes:

> I'm proposing the small patch for the TODO item -- Improve psql's handling
> of multi-line queries. With this patch the multi-line queries are saved
> by readline as whole and not line by line.

I like it already!

> This is my first patch for Postgres but it seems to work and to not break
> anything.
>
> I'm waiting for review, comments, objections, etc...

Did you consider its interaction with \e? Editing the query_buffer
with \e will leave that query prefixed with \e in the history. That
wasn't the case before your patch.

Also, using \e several times on a query without sending it (i.e.
without a semicolon) will yield a history entry of a concatenation of
old query buffers.

Thanks,
Andreas