Re: Style of file error messages

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Style of file error messages
Date: 2007-05-30 20:07:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A seasoned developer might only need the file name to guess what kind of
> file it is, but other people could probably use the help.

I think Peter's argument is that what kind of file it is really doesn't help a
regular user. Nonetheless I agree strongly. Even if it doesn't actually make
any practical difference it's one less thing to wonder about and one more
anchor for a user to hold onto when trying to understand what's going on.

I know I feel better knowing what part is actually broken on my car than just
having a dummy light come on even if I'm going to go to the same garage either
way.

--
  Gregory Stark