Re: REFERENCES and INHERITS restrictions?

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Stefan Scheidegger" <Stefan(dot)Scheidegger(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: REFERENCES and INHERITS restrictions?
Date: 2008-02-27 14:04:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Stefan Scheidegger" <Stefan(dot)Scheidegger(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:

> Why is this not possible? It seems that this is about inheritance. When I
> reference directly to tbl_child1, everything works just fine.

I'm afraid inheritance doesn't work with foreign key references. You can have
references to specific tables but they don't include any child tables. A
related limitation is that you can't enforce unique constraints across tables
and their children.

Solving this doesn't seem to be high on anyone's priority list. If anything
what interests more people is using inheritance for partitioning support.

--
Gregory Stark