copying/moving from one table to another

From: Joachim Trinkwitz <jtr(at)uni-bonn(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: copying/moving from one table to another
Date: 2000-09-27 18:24:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

is there a handy way to copy or (preferrably) move a whole record
from one table to another, equally structured table in the same DB?

Background: I have some tables which hold information concerning our
staff, where people quite so often come and go, because their
employment contract is limited to a year or two. When deleting a
person in the DB, I don't want to lose this information completely,
but I want to save it in a backup table.

I suppose this is a newbie question, maybe I am stirring me blind
somewhere ...

Greetings and thanks,
jaochim