Re: pg_restore and permissions

From: Florian Weimer <Weimer(at)CERT(dot)Uni-Stuttgart(dot)DE>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore and permissions
Date: 2002-04-25 18:30:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

>> No, it won't because the pg_dumpall script will try to connect as each
>> user who owns objects in the database. With ident authorization in
>> force, the DB rejects these connection requests as falsified.
>
> Oh, I thought he was getting that error on first connection, but now I
> understand it was part of a larger dump.

I've created the dump with pg_dump, not with pg_dumpall.

> I think Tom's idea is correct that you have to open things up to get it
> loaded. Sorry about that.

You mean, change the server authentication settings? Okay, that's the
usual approach. :-/

Will it be possible some day to restore backups more easily, without
having to tweak configuration files?

--
Florian Weimer Weimer(at)CERT(dot)Uni-Stuttgart(dot)DE
University of Stuttgart http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/