Re: memory bug

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Alex Albarracin" <aalbarracin(at)corest(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: memory bug
Date: 2003-11-24 16:32:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Alex Albarracin" <aalbarracin(at)corest(dot)com> writes:
> Hello, i have a problem related to the partition memory where
> postgres is installed, this has increased so much that the partition
> is full and postgres can not start up. The message postmaster sends
> when i want to restart is insuficient disk space. Do you know if
> postgres uses some disk space that may not releases.

Unused disk space is released by VACUUM FULL. If I understand your
situation correctly, I'd recommend temporarily adding some more disk
space or moving some data to another partition to allow the postmaster
to startup. Then you can reclaim some disk space using VACUUM FULL
and/or REINDEX. In the future, run VACUUM more frequently (and perhaps
bump max_fsm_pages).

-Neil