Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Jean-Paul Argudo" <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 15:07:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
"Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> On Feb 4, 2008 4:27 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>
>> Even a new domain seems odd to me - if this is to be official, then
>> surely it should be under postgresql.org.
>
> Having a separate TLD actually increases the visibility of the effort
> from a search engine perspective.
>
> We can learn a lesson from Perl advocacy - it is still possible to
> render projects invisible to the outside world through excessive
> consolidation.  A search for "perl blogs" still does not put
> use.perl.org in the top results.

Firstly, if we could be a tenth as successful as Perl that would be great.

Secondly, the above has nothing to do with whether it's in a new domain or not
and everything to do with how often those blogs are linked to from the outside
world. I've never heard of them which tells you something about how heavily
referenced they are.

In any case search engine optimization is a mugs game. Concentrate on building
a service that people want to use and people will talk about it and that will
get you on the search engines. Search engines follow, they don't lead.

--
  Gregory Stark