Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime
Date: 2008-08-26 15:04:55
Lists: pgsql-general

phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com ("Phoenix Kiula") writes:
> See, this is where I get confused. I want to upgrade from 8.2.3 to
> 8.3.3. The recommendation is to try Slony. So I download Slony and try
> to configure it. The configure command gives me this:
>

> ----
> checking for correct version of PostgreSQL... "error"
> configure: error: Your version of PostgreSQL (8.2) is lower
> than the required 8.3. Slony-I needs functionality included in
> a newer version.
> ----
>

> Well, if Slony needs a newer version, then how can it be used to upgrade?!

I expect that what you downloaded was a pre-release candidate for
version 2.0, which does indeed "eschew" older versions (for some good
reasons - you can't support *all* versions of *everything*,
*forever*).

With version 1.2.14, the latest *official* release, versions of
PostgreSQL as far back as 7.4 are certainly supported.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html