Re: PostgreSQL block size for SSD RAID setup?

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: henk de wit <henk53602(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL block size for SSD RAID setup?
Date: 2009-02-25 15:42:14
Lists: pgsql-performance
henk de wit <henk53602(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:

> Hi,
> I was reading a benchmark that sets out block sizes against raw IO performance
> for a number of different RAID configurations involving high end SSDs (the
> Mtron 7535) on a powerful RAID controller (the Areca 1680IX with 4GB RAM). See
> http://jdevelopment.nl/hardware/one-dvd-per-second/

You might also be interested in:

http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-erase-block-size/

http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/22/should-filesystems-be-optimized-for-ssds/

It seems you have to do more work than just look at the application. You want
the application, the filesystem, the partition layout, and the raid device
geometry to all consistently maintain alignment with erase blocks.

--
  Gregory Stark