Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Corin <wakathane(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date: 2010-03-19 09:04:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
Corin <wakathane(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm running quite a large social community website (250k users, 16gb
> database). We are currently preparing a complete relaunch and thinking about
> switching from mysql 5.1.37 innodb to postgresql 8.4.2. The database server
> is a dual dualcore operton 2216 with 12gb ram running on debian amd64.
>
> For a first impression I ran a simple query on our users table (snapshot

For more serious impression and realistic figures, you could use tsung
atop the http side of your application and compare how it performs given
a certain load of concurrent users.

In your situation I'd expect to win a lot going to PostgreSQL on
concurrency scaling. Tsung is made to test that.

  http://tsung.erlang-projects.org/

Regards,
--
dim