Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From: Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Cornelia Boenigk <poppcorn(at)cornelia-boenigk(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date: 2006-02-12 19:28:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

* Bruce Momjian:

>> How? What external projects (or companies) do we rely on for our code
>> base? As far as I know, we've been very careful about this, with the
>> biggest one that ever gets mentioned time and again being the whole
>> readline stuff ...
>
> Ah, it isn't what we rely on, but the tools and languages our users rely
> on to make PostgreSQL useful.

But this is still far away from relying on externally licensed access
methods which are developed according to the Cathedral model and whose
zero-cost licenses are copyleft. Especially if you want to enable
your own customers to build proprietary products using your
technology.

Curiously, the risk for MySQL here is not that Oracle becomes an Open
Source company, but that they license InnoDB and Berkeley DB under
open source licenses only (which would be a heavy blow to other
Sleepycat customers as well, by the way).