Re: Scaling up PostgreSQL in Multiple CPU / Dual Core Powered Servers

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Scaling up PostgreSQL in Multiple CPU / Dual Core Powered Servers
Date: 2006-03-23 13:23:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

jojo(dot)paderes(at)gmail(dot)com ("Jojo Paderes") wrote:
> I'd like to know if the latest PostgreSQL release can scale up by
> utilizing multiple cpu or dual core cpu to boost up the sql
> executions.
>
> I already do a research on the PostgreSQL mailing archives and only
> found old threads dating back 2000. A lot of things have improved with
> PostgreSQL and hopefully the support for multiple cpu or dual cores is
> already provided.

If you submit multiple concurrent queries, they can be concurrently
processed on separate CPUs; that has long been supported, and people
have been using SMP systems to this end for years.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html