Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>, <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-25 18:46:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:

>> I think the people wanting wrapped to control file/pipe don't want it as
>> the default, but want _some_ way of getting wrapped output into a file.
>
> Let me add that the patch as it was posted does not have wrapping
> affecting file/pipe output unless you also specify a column width with
> \pset. This seemed the most logical and tried to satisfy the most
> people. You can see this in the documentation changes of the patch:

If you specify format=wrapped and get something other than wrapped it's a bug
and people will undoubtedly report it as such.

If you want a way to specify "wrapped on a terminal but not to a non-terminal"
then you should make that explicit and separate from the column-width
determination.

I'm done with this thread now.

--
Gregory Stark