Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq

From: Tollef Fog Heen <tollef(dot)fog(dot)heen(at)collabora(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Date: 2010-02-11 07:15:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

]] daveg

| I disagree. I have clients who have problems with leftover client connections
| due to server host failures. They do not write apps in C. For a non-default
| change to be effective we would need to have all the client drivers, eg JDBC,
| psycopg, DBD-DBI, and the apps like psql make changes to turn it on. Adding
| this option as a non-default will not really help.

FWIW, this is my case. My application uses psycopg, which provides no
way to get access to the underlying socket. Sure, I could hack my way
around this, but from the application writer's point of view, I have a
connection that I expect to stay around and be reliable. Whether that
connection is over a UNIX socket, a TCP socket or something else is
something I would rather not have to worry about; it feels very much
like an abstraction violation.

--
Tollef Fog Heen