Re: Opinions on Usenet ...

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Opinions on Usenet ...
Date: 2004-11-29 20:42:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:

> If there were a comp.databases.postgresql.hackers newsgroup created and
> carried by all the news servers ... would you move to using it vs using the
> mailing lists?
>
> The USENET community seems to think that there would be a mass exodus from the
> lists to usenet ...

They're nuts. The only "exodus" would be in the form of people posting one-off
questions not bothering to subscribe before posting.

It seems to me that the news interface is useful if it's a list you don't read
regularly. You just check periodically to see if there's anything on a
particular topic (like to see how a new release is faring before upgrading) or
to post the occasional support question without wanting to be subscribed all
the time.

On that basis it seems to me the only list that makes sense to gateway to
USENET is pgsql-general. That's the outward-facing list for people to ask
support one-off questions on. The rest of the lists should really be mailing
lists for ongoing internal discussion.

The news.postgresql.org interface should satisfy people who want the
news-style user interface but with the serious-subscribers-only type of
environment.

--
greg