Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From: Florian Weimer <fw(at)deneb(dot)enyo(dot)de>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Cornelia Boenigk <poppcorn(at)cornelia-boenigk(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date: 2006-02-12 22:21:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
* Marc G. Fournier:

> according to FreeBSD ports:
>
>    subversion uses it
>    openldap server uses it

And the latter is really crucial and they could hardly switch to
anything else without losing credibility.

Sleepycat also has got an impressive customer list:

  <http://www.sleepycat.com/customers/customerlist.html>

Most of these companies already have to deal with Oracle, though. 8-/

> So, if you are going to be "concerned" about any of Oracle's
> acquisitions, one should just look at their own desktop/servers to see
> how much the SleepyCat one will potentially affect them :(

I'm running a custom-written database on top of Berkeley DB (which I
plan to migrate to PostgreSQL for the sake of ad-hoc queries), and I'm
not *that* concerned.  I'm using Sleepycat's copyleft licensing
option, and nobody can take that copy away from me.  Your mail servers
are probably similar: the copyleft license you already have is good
enough.